harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jitrino]
Date Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:44:08 GMT
On Dec 15, 2007 2:33 PM, 史成荣 <icyrong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still have 2 questions.
>
> First, I know in the Thread Manager, it is the
> hythread_thin_monitor_try_enter method to aquire the mutex lock
> and implement the *memory barrier.* But* *I looked into the code of this
> method, didn't find any memory barrier operations(including the
> apr_memory_rw_barrier() call and  cmpxchg operation) when it is the fat
> lock. when aquiring the fat lock, it calls the hythread_monitor_try_enter
> method. In the hythread_monitor_try_enter method* there isn't *memory
> barrier operations, but has a call of the *hymutex_trylock* method. Does the
> hymutex_trylock method also has barrier effect built-in?
>
> Second, when exit the synchoronized area, it should release the mutex lock
> and flush the local memory to the main memory. But the
> hythread_thin_monitor_exit method only release the mutex lock and I don't
> find any flushing operation in hythread_thin_monitor_exit method.

Chengrong, you have good questions. Your questions are related to
processor memory model, or how to map Java memory model to the
processor. For example, if the processor has sequential consistency,
there is no need for any extra flushing operation because all the
local memory operations enter the system memory hierarchy in order of
issuing. X86 processors use "processor consistency" which is weaker
than sequential consistency, so it has xfence instructions for the
purpose.

So to really understand the issues, you probably can read some
materials on processor architecture, esp. the memory model part. There
are chapters in "Computer architecture, a quantitative approach" or
"Parallel architecture: a hardware/software interface". For a specific
processor type, you can read its architecture manual to understand its
behavior in SMP configuration. For example, "lock" prefix in X86
processor has both barrier and flushing effects.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com