harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][general] Multi-tasking VM?
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2007 02:56:33 GMT
On Dec 12, 2007 10:31 AM, Jin Mingjian <jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > To create an OS in Java was proved possible without MVM (such as
> > JavaOS or JNode). So far there is no evidence showing MVM is the
> > nature choice. Singularity has some study showing software isolation
> > might be desirable, but the real benefits are yet to be demonstrated.
> > Isolation is light-weighted only when you only run applications in
> > pure Java. In my prototyping with MVM, the big issue lies in native
> > code support. How would you deal with native code elegantly without
> > process?
> >

> First, JNode have introduce the "isolate" at least from v0.24. To
> correct my words strictly, It is the nature choice for
> resource-managed system(so, not pure java, dotnet or other is still
> ok.) Of course, we can live without MVM idea. But we can live more
> easily with it in such system.
>
> You are right about dealing with the native code. Native codes is hard
> to merged into mvm(Maybe it is not elegant to use native codes in
> Java).  So mvm is more appropriate to a pure resource-managed OS.
> However, there are still some efforts to build a mvm on common
> platform. I'm very interesting for your prototyping with MVM. Sun has
> a project about mvm (mvm.dev.java.net, Barcelona's successor). A
> prototyping MVM on solaris seem released.

Ian Rogers talked about Pearcolator. Because it's written in Java,
probably Pearcolator can be a safe-guard for native code? I don't
know, but I guess not.

> Singularity v1 has given out some benchmark results. The basic
> conclusion is that SIP is better than HIP. Of course, it is just
> results from pure dotnet-style OS.

Yes, I read that. I agree that safe languages will be the future of OS
languages, but not necessarily in the way of MVM or Singularity. It's
still too early to predict. E.g., hardware virtualization could impact
the design largely in future.

Thanks,
xiaofeng
--