harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][general] Multi-tasking VM?
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:20:35 GMT
On Dec 11, 2007 3:44 PM, Jin Mingjian <jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> MVM still has its seat in some cases, I think. The one of features is
> the ''Isolation" characteristic(Isolation API,JSR121). If we use make
> JVM as a base of OS(that is, Java os), MVM is the nature choose. One
> thing is, the "Isolation" is much lightweight than process, as far as
> I know.

To create an OS in Java was proved possible without MVM (such as
JavaOS or JNode). So far there is no evidence showing MVM is the
nature choice. Singularity has some study showing software isolation
might be desirable, but the real benefits are yet to be demonstrated.
Isolation is light-weighted only when you only run applications in
pure Java. In my prototyping with MVM, the big issue lies in native
code support. How would you deal with native code elegantly without
process?

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com