harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Declare M4 == r603534 ?
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:21:18 GMT
> Based on your own local testing and on the testing results people have
> reported here, do you think we should declare the r603534 build as M4
> and re-open the codebase for change?
>
> As usual, this is a development milestone, so we know there are issues,
> including some we would likely choose to fix for an end-user release.
> A milestone is a stable development snapshot that does not have any
> critical flaws or regressions.

Hi Tim,

What criteria do you use to define if the build is stable enough?

It is not clear from me how we define 'stable build' - the published
test results showed several regressions (there is not 1 only or 2
issues for evaluation).
For example, I spend a whole day evaluating/reproducing results for
Eclipse and Geromino unit tests and reliability suite. Running the
Eclipse tests are bit tricky (I can not get stable results yet). The
Geromino unit tests IMO regressed since M2. (we have HARMONY-4895 and
HARMONY-5302. Both claim that there are issues with Geromino but the
all tests pass with Sun's JDK 1.5.0. So I think more investigation is
required). And I'm able to reproduce tests crashes in the reliability
suite. But currently I can not say how critical they are but it looks
like we have problems in ThreadManager.

Also is it possible to define a formal criteria for publishing a stable build?
(Say as we did for publishing user's snapshots: the snapshots are
published if classlib,drlvm.jdktools and EWHA pass on Linux/Windows
ia32 platform.)

Thanks,
Stepan.