harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] Problems merging TreeMap to Java 6 branch
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:46:34 GMT
Hi,

     I have just read the patch for 5232 (sorry I did not notice this
last friday).  It was really cool that TreeMap can got a improment in
performance (do you have some benchmark sorces on this, Sergey?) :)

     And as I read the source code, I find the main change was some
format problem, if I call an auto-format in eclipse and then compared
with previous version (Oct 27th's version), over 60% difference
disappeared! :) So format before commit is a good idea :) BTW, we may
remove all "System.out.println" in our source code(find in method
size()), do we?

     and for improment mentioned on JIRA:
1. SubMap compared with upper bound key.
I do notice this and IIRC, there's a improvement in version 6.  I'll
take a further study which is better :)
2. SortedMap is downgraded to sorted array when in small size
A really great idea! Sergey you must be a cpu-guru, are you? :)  It'll
be better If we can get some solid benchmark score.

     And for java6, TreeMap changes a lot in its lastest version, as a
result, we did a lot change in java6 TreeMap, including its structure
and inner classes. As I read the source code, I find it possible to
merge them together but will require effect on it as it was really
complex. Do we need to get it done before M4? If no, we can do the
refactor little by little till  its complete.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM