harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][nio] jetty corrupts big static files
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 16:53:55 GMT
On Dec 6, 2007 7:31 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> > So far I've managed to reproduce this issue on SLES10 and
> > epoll()-based Selector. There are really weird results difference
> > between RHEL and SLES on the same build - I'm looking into the
> > differences on the native side calls now. As far as you might be more
> > familiar with legacy selector code, you might try to reproduce and
> > catch the problem there, then we can sync our visions on what's going
>
> Aleksey,
>
> It looks like the code in NIO selector could do with a good review, and
> at minimum a few comments if not a partial redesign to tidy up the data
> structures and which locks are required for which, etc.
>
> Given this is not a regression from M3, I suggest we downgrade it from
> critical to major, and put off any significant reworking until after the
> milestone.
>
> WDYT?
I'm fine with that, Tim. The issue is more complex than it looks at
first glance. Moreover, the issue is environment-specific and not
reproducible on RHEL, which I believe a sign of Linux kernel problems
(how much patches RedHat has there? :). Let's revisit this issue after
M4. However, I want to hear Alexei Zakharov's opinion.

Thanks,
Aleksey.