harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Declare M4 == r603534 ?
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:18:25 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
>>> What criteria do you use to define if the build is stable enough?
>> The opinion of people who work in each area saying it is stable.
>>

> Sure, the final decision is made by people.
>
>> The tests and scenarios are there to give us good information to work
>> with, but in the end it is 'people over process' that decide.
>>

> But if regressions have tendency to get accumulated then the next
> questions start to disturb me: what is wrong with the process? when we
> should try to make everything 'green' on the snapshot status page?

Absolutely!  Don't get me wrong.  Having a full set of test suites and
keeping them 'green' is very important.  There's too much information to
understand without the reassurance of constantly passing tests.
Regressions and failures need to be understood and addressed.

Today's question is: is this revision a stable point in the code that we
can publish as a basis for ongoing development?  I think it looks good
enough to declare a milestone.  I'm looking for others' opinion in areas
of code I'm less familiar with.

Regards,
Tim