harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yang Paulex" <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems about the harmony
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:39:01 GMT
2007/11/29, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
>      Thanks for your feedback :)
>
> 2007/11/29, junguo pu <pojocco@gmail.com>:
> > I am the resposibel group leader of Evermore.
> > Having worked on harmony(Linux) for some days, we found that harmony is
> not
> > stable. Here I will say something from the macro aspect.
> >
> > 1.first of all it doesn't provide the install version for users. If user
> > downloads the version from the web, he should deploy the environment
> > himself, or else harmony will crazy you.
> >

> Yes, currently Harmony lacks a installation version, and I remember we
> are discussing it on the mailing-list, so we'll build one sooner or
> later :).
> (However IMHO, a make-install may fit all platforms including masses
> of versions of Linux, like many other Linux programs.)

Which Linux distribution you are using? IIRC, Mark provided a  debian
package, and there were some RPM  and JPackage discussion ongoing, though I
didn't follow very closely. Harmony is still young, and there are still many
stuffs(tooling, providers, etc) missing, but, hey, that's part of fun in
open source, because anyone can contribute and make difference! ;-)

> 2.I don't know how Harmony control his code. Before when they fix their
> bugs
> > one day, but it will happen again another day. You'll see the previous
> code.
> >

> Hmm, I don't know what happens here, maybe there's some committer do
> some regression. Harmony uses svn repository to control this code and
> JIRA system to control bugs and patches. Maybe a good way to follow is
> update svn repository and build everyday :) (Harmony release
> Milestones, but can not guarantee bug-free in the milestones, and you
> may need to patch the milestone build if you need to fix some bugs.)

It's possible that some commits are reverted if they appeared non-mature or
caused regression, or so, although very infrequently. I understand this is
annoying, so that we tried very hard to improve the unit test coverage to
catch regression before commits, but still, difficult to ensure development
stream's stability.

> 3.The most important thing is we can't debug our program, which is a
> > magnificent and complex program, although you can debug a small
> smoothly.

Not sure what VM you were using, but I believe there are many guys here
happy to help fixing the problems :).

Hmm, what vm are you using? I'm using IBMVME and debug smoothly on my

--
Paulex Yang