harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with migration to new ICU, r592434 & r593469
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:29:07 GMT
To be clear all these issues are not from migrating from previous
version of ICU to 3.8. But from removing Harmony code which duplicates
ICU code.
So we actually need to fix ICU not Harmony to get our performance and
other behaviors back. And the problem here could be that we are not
ICU and we do not have ICU committers, at least as far as I know. Thus
we can not be sure that needed patches will be integrated ASAP even if
we will create all needed patches our selves.

Moreover some patches can contradict with ICU vision. For example
HARMONY-5085. The problem there that the Harmony method starts to
return array of ICU classes instead of array of Harmony J2SE public
API classes. Array scanning with ICU -> Harmony classes conversion
will degrade performance. So the only way here to fix ICU to return
public api classes instead of ICU classes. And I'm not sure that ICU
project will be ready to integrate such a changes.

>From the other hand I agree that we do not want to reinvent the wheel
and keep and support all this internationalization stuff in Harmony if
we can delegate it to another suitable project. But this project need
to fit Harmony needs :)

I suggest the following as a result...
1. Revert the patch which removes Harmony code which duplicates ICU.
2. File all the found issues to ICU database.
3. Create as much patches for ICU to fit Harmony needs as we can and
provide them to ICU.
4. Wait until all these patches will be integrated and new ICU release come.
5. Remove ICU duplicating functionality again.

Thoughts? Objections?

Thanks in advance.

SY, Alexey