harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Petrenko" <alexey.a.petre...@gmail.com>
Subject [general] JPackage - new opportunity for Harmony?
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:57:42 GMT
One of the Tomcat developers has pointed me to JPackage project[1].
This project is distributing a rather big number of Java based
projects for Linux in common way.
It also distributes JDKs. Now they have only Sun JDK in their list.

I think it would be good for Harmony to try to participate in this project.

I've wrote a letter to JPackage discussion list and has received few
favorable responses.

So we probably should create JPackage compatible rpm of Harmony and
suggest it for inclusion.

The good thing that we can demonstrate all the benefits of Harmony's
modularity by creating a set of rpms and let the user choose which
parts of Harmony he really needs.
Not so good thing is that we need significant changes to Harmony's
build system to be fully compatible with building Harmony from source
RPM. Which is probably not a requirement for JPackage but a good form
for Linux community.

However we can start from simple binary rpm based on Harmony M3 for example.

Thoughts? Objections?

Thanks in advance.

SY, Alexey

1. http://www.jpackage.org