harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Bornstein" <danf...@google.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Android
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:14:16 GMT
On Nov 28, 2007 2:51 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given that the Harmony class library natives are implemented in terms of
> the portlib functions [1], either (a) you implemented the portlib
> functions to work on the Android platform, or (b) changed the natives to
> call the OS directly.

We did (b), and it is attributable at least in part due to the way the
project progressed: We started with an entirely new library
implementation (not Harmony based at all), and it was only relatively
late in Android's history (after the project was already a going
concern for at least a couple years) that we started importing code
from Harmony to flesh out the implementation.

At this point, maybe it makes sense for Dalvik to start using portlib,
but I have a clarifying question: What are the advantages and
disadvantages of doing so? In particular, the Android project is
generally very sensitive to unnecessary bloat and slowness. If the
changes needed to use the portability layer really and truly wouldn't
add extra calls (including in bytecode), extra code (ditto), or extra
memory usage, and if the project wouldn't be able to reduce bloat by
moving further away from the portlib style of things, then it sounds
like it would absolutely make sense to adopt it, since (per my
previous note) *not* using it would be an *unnecessary* difference
between the two codebases.

Thanks for your help,

-dan