harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Bornstein" <danf...@google.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Android
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 02:53:46 GMT
On Nov 21, 2007 1:24 AM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, did you have to make any significant changes to
> Harmony in order to suit your needs?  Perhaps you can share some
> experiences, and a wish list.

We have indeed made a few significant changes, which I think fall into
one of these general categories:

* Rewrite or import code as native C/C++ to make things faster.
(Examples: ICU for character encoding and regular expressions, OpenSSL
for crypto code.)
* Reduce memory usage, but make things slower. (Example: Localized
exception message formatting.)
* Reduce runtime configurability, to make things faster and simpler.
(Example: The Logging library.)
* Adapt code or write new code to be happy running inside the Dalvik
VM. (Example: The reflection code.)

We don't have a "wish list" per se. But if I get one wish it is that
we figure out a good way to keep the Dalvik version of the library
code from diverging too far from Harmony, as both projects continue on
their respective trajectories. That is, I want us to be able to
cleanly maintain the *necessary* differences and minimize (dare I
hope, eliminate?) the *unnecessary* differences.

I apologize that I can't be more specific than that, at this point.

-dan