harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] Post-build relocation for Harmony
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:29:16 GMT
Tim,

On Nov 21, 2007 9:21 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see, that makes sense.  So perhaps we should not bother with the
> current basing option in makefiles, and just leave it all to the
> deployment stage?
We might just leave them alone and rebase again on the deployment stage.
That's the minumim change which allows to use large heaps.

> Looking at the doc for editbin, I agree that /largeaddressaware looks
> like a good option too.  How about /bind ?  Given we just rebased the
> DLLs it may help with start-up times?
That makes sense for the sake of modularity, sure, but that's not the
post-build action since we don't know what libraries will be used
exactly. So we need to prepare for the worst case and relocate most of
them.

> I may tweak that patch a bit so it doesn't try to rebase the DLLs in the
> bin/default directory if the VM isn't DRLVM.  Not sure what the effect
> would be on the IBM VME (at least, some of those files don't appear in
> the IBM/BEA VM).
Uhm... I thought my patch only touches DRLVM-specific build code. Are
the same scripts used for Harmony/J9 building? If yes, sure, we can
ensure compatibility with other VMs as well.

Thanks,
Aleksey.