harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with migration to new ICU, r592434 & r593469
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:30:34 GMT
Hi, Tony, Alexei!

> Following commits are reverted at r596044.
Thanks, Tony!

> I have looked through JIRAs and did not find a reproducer. Do we have one?
You might refer to these two JIRAs dedicated for performance
degradations: [1] and [2]. There you will find the microtests on
problematic areas of changed code and their results.

> > useDaylightTime
> How this method might cause server benchmark degradation? Who calls
> this method frequently? May be we should change the caller either it
> is a part of the spec or our implementation?
It is used for internal computation in j.u.Date and
j.u.GregorianCalendar. As soon as you are running buisiness workload,
you will have to handle the Date too, hence the workload performance
degradations caused by j.u.Date degradations.

There are some hidden performance problems which were exposed during
ICU upgrade, some of which we can handle after reaching the milestone.
This includes at least proper caching of useDaylightTime property and
using simpler ICU's useDaylightTime().

Thanks,
Aleksey,
ESSD, Intel