harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Android
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:09:36 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 11/28/07, Dan Bornstein <danfuzz@google.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 2007 2:51 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Given that the Harmony class library natives are implemented in terms of
>>> the portlib functions [1], either (a) you implemented the portlib
>>> functions to work on the Android platform, or (b) changed the natives to
>>> call the OS directly.
>> We did (b), and it is attributable at least in part due to the way the
>> project progressed: We started with an entirely new library
>> implementation (not Harmony based at all), and it was only relatively
>> late in Android's history (after the project was already a going
>> concern for at least a couple years) that we started importing code
>> from Harmony to flesh out the implementation.
>>
>> At this point, maybe it makes sense for Dalvik to start using portlib,
>> but I have a clarifying question: What are the advantages and
>> disadvantages of doing so?
>
> It is interesting that you should ask about portlib's advantages.  It
> turns out that the portlib code in DRLVM is very confusing at the
> moment and is in need of cleanup.  I worry that cleaning up
> DRLVM/portlib might require changing portlib internals.  A question
> for Tim: would IBM entertain changes to portlib internals?

erm, a bit hard to answer that question without any details.

> An approach that does not require IBM, Google, Intel, etc to agree on
> generic portlib code would be to simply leave things as they are.  For
> an open source handheld internet device, it seems an embedded Linux is
> the only practical choice for the OS.  Gluing a handheld JVM directly
> to an embedded Linux certainly reduces the code maintenance effort.
> This comes at the cost of being portable to some non-Linux embedded
> OS.  An interesting related question -- what non-Linux embedded OS's
> does Harmony portlib support?

Even in the Linux world there are subtle differences at that portlib
level that need to be taken into account (e.g. [1]).

I don't know of anyone who has implemented the _Harmony_ portlib on a
non-Linux embedded OS.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/harmony-dev/200709.mbox/%3c46EADA63.9060300@qnx.com%3e

Regards,