harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Android
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:51:29 GMT
Dan Bornstein wrote:
> We aren't currently using portlib. We bottom out directly to
> Posix-compatible calls. (Dalvik is only meant to be portable between
> Posix-compatible systems, so we don't need yet another porting layer
> at that level.)

Just for my own edification...

Given that the Harmony class library natives are implemented in terms of
the portlib functions [1], either (a) you implemented the portlib
functions to work on the Android platform, or (b) changed the natives to
call the OS directly.

The intention is that new platforms implement the portlib functions and
the class library will 'just work' [2], i.e. option (a).  Since I
understand that Android is based on a Linux 2.6 kernel there should not
have been much required to get our Linux version of the core libraries

[2] Some modules, like graphics libraries and authentication, are so
tightly coupled to the underlying OS that they do not have a useful
portlib abstraction.

View raw message