harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Google Android
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:05:49 GMT
Dan Bornstein wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 9:31 AM, Andrew Zhang <zhanghuangzhu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a bug system for Android? I've already met some problems, but don't
>> know where to submit bug report.
>
> The best way to funnel bug reports into the project is to post them to
> the Android Developer list
> <http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/>. There is a
> dedicated team of folks, the "Android advocates," who interact on the
> list and manage all the incoming reports, handing them off internally.

Reading that list I see a few bugs reported against the Harmony code
that I know have been fixed since the code was picked up.

Therefore :
 - it's good to hear that the plan is to refresh the Harmony code in
Android at some point to get those fixes,
 - it would be good to redirect some of the bug reports into the Harmony
JIRA system so we can help fix them for everyone.

> Unfortunately, I don't think there is much visibility — yet! — of the
> progress of a bug once it gets into the system. This is new territory
> for a lot of folks on the project, so please bear with us as we sort
> this stuff out.

I'm sure you are going to have some system for routing the bugs back to
the originating open source projects Android has included in the stack.
 In the simplest case opening a bug in the Harmony JIRA system, and
creating a reference to it from your own bug tracker, will allow the bug
to receive some attention from the large number of core library
developers here.

I would have no problem with the Andoid advocates responding on the
developer list by saying 'go tell the Harmony folk to fix it'.  I
wouldn't go say that right now myself until you have a means of picking
up refreshes since it probably isn't helpful to tell Android developers
it is fixed 'over there'.

Regards,
Tim