harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] Compatibility :: EnumSet.elementType field doesn't exist
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:58:29 GMT
Zakharov, Vasily M wrote:
> I'm trying to run Geronimo Unit Tests 2.0.2 on Harmony, and I've found
> that GUT uses XStream 1.1.3, which addresses
> java.util.EnumSet.elementType field that is package private in RI and is
> absent in Harmony.

Yep, it is non-api so just happens to be different in Harmony.

> Of course, this is a problem in XStream, and moreover it's already fixed
> there in v1.2.2 (see [1]), however, I think this is a point where we
> could be compatible with RI just in case some other application does the
> same mistake.

We are never going to address all the internal implementation
differences, so it is a question as to whether this is 'important
enough' to change the Harmony implementation.

> Harmony implementation of EnumSet has elementClass field that seems to
> be the equivalent of RI's elementType field. So my suggestion is to
> rename elementClass to elementType and thus become more compatible and
> move GUT v2.0 enabling forward.
>
> I've filed HARMONY-5196 for this problem and attached a simple renaming
> patch that I suggest to apply.
>
> Are there any objections?
>
> If not, than could someone please commit the patch?

In this case, I see you have ascertained that XStream have fixed their
invalid reference, and Geronimo has moved up to the fixed version [1],
so I think we should not apply this renaming.  I suspect there will be
more cases like this, and we'll have to deal with them one at a time --
but while other projects are being accommodating and making the 'right'
fix then i think we should go that route.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200711.mbox/%3c474B35C0.5090402@earthlink.net%3e

Regards,
Tim