harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm][regression] FAILED Linux x86: jdktools-test debug
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:14:07 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> On 11/20/07, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org> wrote:
>> Eugene Ostrovsky wrote:
>>> It seems that we have a regression.
>>>
>>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Events.ClassUnloadTest
>>> starts to fail from r596304 to r596371
>>> So it seems that now that class unloading is enabled, JVMTI extension
>>> event for class unloading has to be implemented to let this test pass.
>>> The problem that I see here is that Sun's implementation passes a
>>> reference to the unloaded class into event callback, so the reference is
>>> still live (maybe weak?) at this point.
>>> In our implementation there are no live references to the class objects
>>> in VM part of the class unloading. There is even an assertion that
>>> checks this in classloader.cpp:564.
>>> There are two ways to fix this. First one is to create our own
>>> implementation of class unloading event that wouldn't pass a reference
>>> to the class being unloaded, just its name.
>

> I am not very good with JVMTI semantics, but if it is OK to support an event
> with the name only, I would vote for this. It is least intrusive.

I've looked at the agent code and it seems that the reference is
actually required. I didn't understand all of it, so possibly there is
still a workaround...

>> Second is to make references available in the VM part of class
>>> unloading. But in this case agent may create a strong reference to the
>>> class object, and class unloading has to be canceled (Actually, since
>>> this event is an extension, it is not specified whether or not a strong
>>> reference may be created).
>

> This may be difficult to do in this implementation, since by the time the VM
> gets back control in the class unloading cycle, it is possibly too late to
> do this.

I think in case JVMTI is enabled, and agent requests this event to be
supported it is possible to create a collection of weak references to
class objects. Once a weak reference is enqueued, VM would send an event
to the agent, and it creates a strong reference, unloading shall
automatically be canceled. Otherwise the class would be unloaded in the
normal way.

--
Gregory