harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm][regression] FAILED Linux x86: jdktools-test debug
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:15:48 GMT
Eugene Ostrovsky wrote:
> It seems that we have a regression.
>
> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Events.ClassUnloadTest
> starts to fail from r596304 to r596371

So it seems that now that class unloading is enabled, JVMTI extension
event for class unloading has to be implemented to let this test pass.
The problem that I see here is that Sun's implementation passes a
reference to the unloaded class into event callback, so the reference is
still live (maybe weak?) at this point.

In our implementation there are no live references to the class objects
in VM part of the class unloading. There is even an assertion that
checks this in classloader.cpp:564.

There are two ways to fix this. First one is to create our own
implementation of class unloading event that wouldn't pass a reference
to the class being unloaded, just its name.

Second is to make references available in the VM part of class
unloading. But in this case agent may create a strong reference to the
class object, and class unloading has to be canceled (Actually, since
this event is an extension, it is not specified whether or not a strong
reference may be created).

--
Gregory