harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with migration to new ICU, r592434 & r593469
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:13:04 GMT
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> To be clear all these issues are not from migrating from previous
> version of ICU to 3.8. But from removing Harmony code which duplicates
> ICU code.

Yes.  I'll admit that I misunderstood the original proposal.  Is it
possible to pick up the locale *data* from ICU rather than have our own
copy?  That would enable us to customize and update the locale
information using ICU tools.

> So we actually need to fix ICU not Harmony to get our performance and
> other behaviors back. And the problem here could be that we are not
> ICU and we do not have ICU committers, at least as far as I know. Thus
> we can not be sure that needed patches will be integrated ASAP even if
> we will create all needed patches our selves.

True.  The ICU project is set up to work in this area, if we can't reuse
their work successfully in Harmony I think would be a great shame for
both of us.

> Moreover some patches can contradict with ICU vision. For example
> HARMONY-5085. The problem there that the Harmony method starts to
> return array of ICU classes instead of array of Harmony J2SE public
> API classes. Array scanning with ICU -> Harmony classes conversion
> will degrade performance. So the only way here to fix ICU to return
> public api classes instead of ICU classes. And I'm not sure that ICU
> project will be ready to integrate such a changes.

I agree it is something we need to fix outside our mainline.

> From the other hand I agree that we do not want to reinvent the wheel
> and keep and support all this internationalization stuff in Harmony if
> we can delegate it to another suitable project. But this project need
> to fit Harmony needs :)

Yep, some of that text handling is complex, and if we can defer it to
ICU that would be best.

> I suggest the following as a result...
> 1. Revert the patch which removes Harmony code which duplicates ICU.
> 2. File all the found issues to ICU database.
> 3. Create as much patches for ICU to fit Harmony needs as we can and
> provide them to ICU.
> 4. Wait until all these patches will be integrated and new ICU release come.
> 5. Remove ICU duplicating functionality again.
>
> Thoughts? Objections?

I agree.  We should hear Tony's suggestion since he has been working in
this area.

Regards,
Tim