harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] awt dependencies
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:32:28 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> I know why we use shared libpng/lcms/jpeg on linux/x86_64 but why don't
> we do the same on linux/x86.  It would seem much simpler to use shared
> libraries for all unix platforms.  I assume it is just historical and a
> case of someone making minimal changes to get x86_64 to work?

This is what Geir has insisted on for quite a long time. See this thread
[1] for details. I've argued with him, but he's got a good point.
Ideally I think we should have it both ways.

> I'd like to change this.  And longer term, I'd also like to avoid making
> the symlinks and just use the system versions directly.

+1

[1]
http://harmony.markmail.org/message/a2pkslyzsmt6roob?q=static+library+from:%22Geir+Magnusson+Jr%2E%22

P.S. BTW markmail.org is better than gmane.org for searching for old
mail threads.

--
Gregory