harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [drlvm]Leave classunloading on by default?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:43:58 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>   BTW, I have been unable to find a scenario that stresses the gc
> heap, and needs to unload unused classes, and it would be good find
> such  test cases.

The DaCapo benchmarks project is currently evaluating new benchmarks,
and in svn right now there is a derby benchmark based on JDBCBench (ie
almost a direct copy of the hsqldb benchmark).

Because derby compiles SQL queries into Java classes, after a couple of
iterations of the benchmark, it requires class unloading.  The benchmark
appears to run in a ~25M heap, and allocates much more than that.

It's almost certain that we won't release this as the final derby
benchmark, but I might package it separately as a class-unloading unit
test.  But in the meantime, if you want to build dacapo from svn head,
it might be exactly what you're after.

cheers

--
Robin Garner