harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]remove the duplicate locale data
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:43:16 GMT
Tony Wu wrote:
> I've raised a JIRA[1] for migrating the dependencies of locale related
> data to icu4j and remove the data in
> luni/src/main/java/org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/locale/. Currently
> I have delegated all the locale related classes to corresponding
> classes in icu4j and successfully removed the dependencies of harmony
> resource bundles.

Cool -- this is good because it removes the code duplication we have at
present, it shifts the maintenance of the locale data into the right
place (IMHO) that being the ICU project, and gives us the opportunity to
use the ICU tools to customize/refresh/etc the data for Harmony each
time the USA decide to introduce another daylight savings change ;-)

> As expected, there are around 20 failures of harmony test. Many of
> them are caused by data difference. I've listed all of them on harmony
> wiki[2] and will raise them to icu soon.

Ack.  I believe that (pretty much) everyone gets the data from the CLDR,
so I would expect any differences to be tests that have out of date
assumptions about the data.

> By applying this patch, we can get 4.2 mega bytes decrease in harmony
> source code, including the svn data.

ooh, say that again!  Removing 4.2Mb of redundant source code is excellent.

> My proposal is to apply the patch on 5061 first and exclude these
> tests which fail on different locale data. Then I'll take follow up
> action to contact icu team and get solution to move them out.
> Otherwise I'm afraid my fix will be outdated for waiting until icu
> team get ready to fix the data. Do you have any objection?
>
> Later, I'll take care of the performance issue of this delegation.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments

Sounds like a good plan.

Regards,
Tim