harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [porting] PPC Linux and z/OS update
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:38:28 GMT
Oliver Deakin wrote:
> I've been working away on ports to PPC Linux 32/64 and z/OS 31/64 for
> some time now and thought it was about time I sent an update to the list
> on my progress.
>
> On Linux PPC I have run the Harmony tests using a specially made J9 VME.
> 32 bit completes with a >99% pass rate and 64bit completes with a >96%
> pass rate. The vast majority of the failures are in the swing and awt
> modules, which is probably caused by machine setup and possibly also
> some missing tweaks here and there to the native code port for those
> modules. Most of the code changes for this port are already checked into
> Harmony SVN.
>
> The z/OS porting work is ongoing. You may have noticed from the build
> break yesterday that I am starting to check in some changes to makefiles
> ;) Im planning to trickle in further z/OS specific code/build system
> changes over the coming weeks. As far as progress goes, I am able (again
> with a specially made J9 VME) to run simple classes and I am getting to
> the point where I can run small sections of the Harmony tests, although
> a problem with file reading is currently preventing me from running the
> whole suite.
>
> fyi the new platform architecture strings (os.arch) for z/OS 31 and 64
> bit are s390 and s390x respectively. There are some special build
> instructions for z/OS which I will put up either on the wiki or the
> website when I get closer to completing the port. For now there are
> still numerous changes to be made to the Harmony codebase before it will
> be buildable on zSeries.

Cool -- time to dust off that old zSeries machine I have in the shed ;-)

Let us know if there are any repository structure issues you have with
incorporating the new code, but in principle we should already be in
good shape for another port.

Send us the wiki page link once you have something to share.

Regards,
Tim