harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject [porting] PPC Linux and z/OS update
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:07:00 GMT
Hi all,

I've been working away on ports to PPC Linux 32/64 and z/OS 31/64 for
some time now and thought it was about time I sent an update to the list
on my progress.

On Linux PPC I have run the Harmony tests using a specially made J9 VME.
32 bit completes with a >99% pass rate and 64bit completes with a >96%
pass rate. The vast majority of the failures are in the swing and awt
modules, which is probably caused by machine setup and possibly also
some missing tweaks here and there to the native code port for those
modules. Most of the code changes for this port are already checked into
Harmony SVN.

The z/OS porting work is ongoing. You may have noticed from the build
break yesterday that I am starting to check in some changes to makefiles
;) Im planning to trickle in further z/OS specific code/build system
changes over the coming weeks. As far as progress goes, I am able (again
with a specially made J9 VME) to run simple classes and I am getting to
the point where I can run small sections of the Harmony tests, although
a problem with file reading is currently preventing me from running the
whole suite.

fyi the new platform architecture strings (os.arch) for z/OS 31 and 64
bit are s390 and s390x respectively. There are some special build
instructions for z/OS which I will put up either on the wiki or the
website when I get closer to completing the port. For now there are
still numerous changes to be made to the Harmony codebase before it will
be buildable on zSeries.

Regards,
Oliver

--