harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Kuksenko" <sergey.kukse...@gmail.com>
Subject Problems with migration to new ICU, r592434 & r593469
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:40:21 GMT
Hi All,

I'd like to continue discussion about migration to new ICU which was done by
r592434 & r593469 commits.
This migration is a big deal and it should be done in any case.
However, after migration we got a set of problems like a set of failures and
performance degradations.
Some of the failures were already fixed, some of them are noticed on
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/MigrateToICU ,some of them are noticed in
JIRA like (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5085) and I am
afraid that some of them are not yet detected.
Performance degradation you can see in JIRAs (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5129 &
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5122)
In general we may conclude that performance of SPECjbb2005 with DRLVM
decreased by 20%.
Moreover, according our results, performance of application servers measured
with EAStress degraded 3x times!!!
Also, there are a lot of small tests which can show degradation.

And the key problem here that we have no so much time before code freeze in
December and it is not good to have new milestone release worse then
previous.
*I suggest to roll back ICU migration till the end of current milestone.*
Let's apply these patches exactly after beginning of the next milestone and
will work on all stability and performance problems together in next
milestone. I hope in that case we will have more time and tune new ICU more
efficiently.

--
Best regards,
---