harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject [general]Different locale data between RI and latest CLDR
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:20:34 GMT
Hi all,

I'm investigating the harmony test failures coming with the delegate
of Currency to ICU's implemention. Almost all of them are caused by
data difference. ICU4j 3.8 is compatible with CLDR 1.5 but RI keeps
the old revision of CLDR in its release. I found that RI 6 claimed in
its javadoc[1] that the data is from CLDR release 1.4 and RI 5 did not
say anything.

This gap result in some difference on currency symbols (maybe on other
things I hasn't encounter. I'll follow this thread when I find a new
one) in some locale. For example, following line of code returns "EUR"
on RI6 whereas returns "€" on ICU.

Currency .getInstance("EUR").getSymbol(Locale.JAPAN));

I suggest to record the gap as a non-bug difference on JIRA currently
and modify the testcases based on RI's behavior instead of excluding
them. Then if some of them break some application some day, we can
customize the ICU release. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks in
advance.

[1]
java6docs/technotes/guides/intl/locale.doc.html

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM