harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Tony Wu" <wuyue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [text] Is full move to ICU right move for text module? (was Re: [swing] InternationalFormatterRTest.testIncrementDecrement failure)
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 03:45:47 GMT
Our orginal impl of DateFormat depends on the resource bundles which I
just removed from luni. This data is also included in icu4j's release
in different format. Further more, exsiting implementation of
DecimalFormat, Bidi, Collator etc. depend on icu already. So I think
basically it is not a bad solution for us to migrate to icu.

By delegation to icu, it is not necessary for us to maintain this data
by ourselves and we can also leverage icu's tools to easily customize
it if there is a requirement in the future.

For the failure you mentioned above, I have no perfect solution
currently. It wraps the com.ibm.icu.util.DateFormat.Field in its
internal implementation so that I can not find an API to replace it
with corresponding classes in java.text.

I think the possible solution is to write an adaptor to get icu's
Field and craft a new collection with java.text.DataFormat.Filed, but
it does reduce the performance.

Do you have any suggestion on this case?

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM