harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] awt dependencies
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:55:08 GMT

On 16 November 2007 at 0:32, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > I know why we use shared libpng/lcms/jpeg on linux/x86_64 but why
> > don't we do the same on linux/x86.  It would seem much simpler to
> > use shared libraries for all unix platforms.  I assume it is just
> > historical and a case of someone making minimal changes to get
> > x86_64 to work?
>
> This is what Geir has insisted on for quite a long time. See this
> thread [1] for details. I've argued with him, but he's got a good
> point.

I'm aware of Geir's view.  I think I probably argued with him over it on
the list too.

> Ideally I think we should have it both ways.

Maybe (since I think the dependency abstraction should handle it
for other dependencies so these will get it for free) but for these
specifically (which have stable APIs that haven't changed in several
years) it seems entirely unnecessary.

In the short term I'm going to simplify the depends.xml code by just
using .so files for all platforms - partly this is because the current
code is very difficult to extend to cover freebsd/aix/zos/etc[0].

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] I set the links up manually to satisfy the dependencies for freebsd
because it got broken when the current x86_64 changes where committed.