harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: M4?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:29:47 GMT

> Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> >   Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
> > rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
> > December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
> > decide this upfront.
>
> It's a good time to reflect on the M3 experiences, and see if/how we
> want to tweak things.
>
> IMHO the code was frozen a little longer than ideal.  We considered
> moving the stable code onto a branch and re-open HEAD, but that was
> probably going to be too heavyweight for a milestone build.
>
> I've said before that shorter cycles are my preference.  I agree there
> is a fixed overhead for testing, but I believe part of the extended M3
> experience was due to the amount of new code that needed testing and
> fixing, and the regressions that we needed to catch-up on, etc.

I agree with Tim here.  There were over 400 bugs fixed / new features
between M2 and M3, which seems like an awful lot of code to be testing all
at once.  It also makes it harder to track down what code caused what error
etc.  Given the size of our community and the rate at which code goes in I
think shorter release cycles would make more sense.

As you say, three months from the M3 would put things right into the
> December/January holiday period for many people.  I suggest that we make
> M4 a short cycle, e.g. freeze at the end of November and release
> mid-December, rather than push things out further into the new year.
>
> This would not only be practical at this time of year, but will also
> give us a data point for the short cycle milestone plan, from which we
> can make a decision about M5 etc.

+1

>  If we are, it may make sense to list what we want to achieve in this
> > cycle and post it on the Wiki, so that come release time, we can make
> > decisions based on completeness as well as stability.
>
> Absolutely.  All the items that were deferred from M3, like class
> unloading, should be on that list.  How about we agree on a date then
> get a wiki page going?  (Our roadmap could do with a visit too ;-/ )
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Sian
--