harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general]How to deal with Java 6 enhancement in kernel classes?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:07:43 GMT
On 10/19/07, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org> wrote:
> Leo Li wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >      I find that there exists some enhancements in Java 6 about kernel
> > classes, for example, the System.console(). Now we have a branch for
> > java 6 in classlib, but System class is part of kernel classes and
> > provided by VM part.
> >      Although the main function is implemented in classlib part, we
> > still have to add a new method in System class only for Java 6. I
> > myself do not like branch :)  while it seems inevitable to branch the
> > kernel classes.
>
> The question is whether it is possible to do branch only for java code
> of the kernel classes or it is necessary to branch VM internals as well.
> If it is java only, then I think branching
> drlvm/vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc is ok.
>
> For example for System.console I would imagine that it is possible
> implement it in Java only as long as j.io.Console class is fully
> implemented  in classlib.

   Right. What I need is just add a method in System class to call the
implementation in j.io.Console. In all, only java code of the kernel
classes, and further, I think, only the classes in the list of java
spec is needed. Helper classes related to VM internals is not
needed.:)

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM