harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [buildtest] pass rate definition
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:00:50 GMT
On 10/18/07, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm involved in numerous discussions on the subject, and want to make
> these discussions transparent to those community members who are
> interested. Imagine we have a test suite which contains five following
> tests:
>
> BuggyTest.java
>    The test fails due to the test bug.
>
> FailingReferenceTest.java
>    The test fails on Harmony and passes on RI. The test design does
> not imply that the test should pass.
>
> IntermittentlyFailingTest.java
>    The test fails intermittently due to HDK bug.
>
> UnsupportedTest.java
>    The test produces an expected fail due to unimplemented
> functionality in HDK.
>
> FailingTest.java
>    The test fails due to HDK bug.
>
> PassingTest.java
>    This one prints PASSED and completes successfully.
>
> What would be the correct formula to define a pass rate? All agree
> that the rate is a number of passed tests divided to a total number of
> tests. Then people start to argue what are the numerator and the
> denominator.
>
> One may say, that he counts any failures as bugs. Then she gets 16.66%
> pass rate. Others get 50%, ignoring all fail reasons except the one
> which produces a fixable HDK failure.
>
> If anyone could share common sense knowledge or Apache practices on
> the subject, this would be interesting.

I think how to define the passing rate is not only related to the
reason of the failure tests but as the scope of the tests itself and
what the passing rate means as well.

Current tests can be separated to two category:
1. Tests provided by harmony developers.
2. Tests provided by applications.

For 1, I do not think the passing rate can prove much. Current process
requires that till the test passes on harmony build it is not checked
in to the source code if I have not missing something. Although there
is some exceptions, we try to achieve this goal. Thus Harmony is
assumed to pass all these tests and if there is a functional missing
or a known bug to be fixed, the test is supposed not exist in
harmony's code base and cannot be calculated in the passing rate.

For 2, the passing rate can to some degree reflect harmony's maturity
and I think normally they need not be differentiated why they do not
pass. Except for few bugs which is due to the application's improper
dependency on sun's behavior ( For example, Sean has discovered Jython
assumes the specified order of the entry stored in HashMap. It is
actually a bug but just coincides to pass on RI. ), the failure among
the majority of the tests provided by application can reveal one bug
or one incompatibility that harmony should try to resolve since we are
trying to give a compatible product as RI for user to switch
seamlessly.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM