harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [buildtest] Are there obsolete fields in the test's description? (Was: Re: [bti][p-unit] finally, it is ready)
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:14:00 GMT
Stepan,

You asked:
> What made them [fields] "obsolete"?

Actually the thing I'm suggesting by my patch is to make these fields
"optional". I believe I may want to make Harmony becoming more
convenient for a test developer I am.

The author field was made obsolete by Geir's decision to keep authors
outside of source code (remember removing Ivan Volosyuk from
interpreter sources?) This decision was discussed a bit, but there
were no strong arguments against.

I don't see a reason of keeping date-of-creation attribute as a
mandatory field. The following argument is a bit stronger: this
argument is duplicated with another one and should be completely
removed. The first file modification is usually done at the Day of
Creation, and the current format allows several modification dates.

Thanks.

BTW, to make this discussion a bit more interesting for techies, let
me add here a discussion of memory cleanup algorithm from our chat
with Andrew:

Andrew: Does it make sense to invoke System.gc() multiple times to
release memory completely?

me: I have the following assertion in my tests: allocated == finalized
and there is no other way to check that all objects are finalized than
to invoke gc and to check that amount of available memory no longer
increase (I also check that max chunk size stabilizes)

Andrew: so to release memory completely, which approach is better? 1.
invoke gc multiple times; 2. gc, thread.sleep

me: I believe I combine both:
  sleep does actual finalization work :-)
  gc() is for check

--