harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] HARMONY-4689 - JVMTI Extension: Native Code Access Interface implementation
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:02:26 GMT
Hello Vasily,

Now I see your attitude towards this donation. :-) When I initally
looked through interface specification, I was not very supportive and
replied with the same argument about gdb.

Unfortunately, gdb is not BSD-licensed or Apache compatible. So we
cannot link with it. It is important if we want to debug application
in a JVMTI-like way from the same process.

If you like solutions with external debuggers, you may come up with
one as well as Salikh did two years ago, and this proved to be useful.
This just does not help in two areas I've initially outlined:
defensive programming and crash handling. Having a level of internal
reflection from inside VM is very important to express assertions
about correct VM state for a debug build.

Finally I want to address your concern of a "pure viewing" nature of
NCAI. NCAI allows changes in runtime environment. For example, you can
change values of variables, or any memory location.

Thanks.

--
With best regards,
Alexei,