harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nadya Morozova" <nad.moroz...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:00:17 GMT
The idea of supporting non-English speakers is rather promising, but i am
not sure we're ready to port the issue tracking system to it.
firstly, a person not knowing English enough to submit a bug won't be able
to reach the bug tracker and navigate in it.
secondly, a person submitting bugs in a language other than English will
need localized documentation. Chinese and Russian help can be a start, we
should probably write some more materials in these languages - such as a
localized download page and key features page. linking to bug tracker from
there can lead non-English speakers further.

On 10/18/07, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/10/18, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com>:
> > Well we can start for example with Chinese and Russian.
> > I think we have enough people here who could translate
> >
> > For other languages we could use e.g. auto-translators.
> >
> > I suggest that we consider this as a new potential feedback channel,
> > if you have user feedback then you have a choice to translate it or
> ignore it.
> > If we say that we don't read feedback in other languages we don't have
> > such a choice.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Sounds interesting. I think we may try such workflow internally for
> now (before publicly advertising multilingual support), e.g. some of
> fellow contributors files a couple of non-english JIRAs, and watch how
> others will respond, and how much overhead the translation will incur
> :)
>
> Apparently the translation of initial report should happen promptly,
> to enable all community resources to evaluate/fix/commit the issue.
> BTW, how issue summaries should look then - bi-lingual strings to
> allow normal navigation for all?
>
> OTOH w/o multilingual website I doubt we'll get much of non-english
> reports - at least user instructions should be available on other
> languages; besides JIRA interface is English only.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail

> undoable.
> assigned
> > >

> > > Sounds interesting. But will this bring more work to assignees more
> work or
> > > prevent them
> > > from understanding the issue? For example, how can JIRA report in
> Turkish be
> > > readable to
> > > an English speaker?
> > >
> > > I agree that globalized JIRA may provider more valuable information to
> > > outsiders. And how
> > > about the reporters to do the translation work? (Just a suggestion for
> the
> > > potential process :-) )
> > >
> > > Correct my if I am wrong.
> > >
> > > Ideas?