harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nadya Morozova" <nad.moroz...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [site] update Quick Help for Contributors (the building instructions)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:15:23 GMT
On 10/3/07, Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nadya,
>
> Your patch looks good - it definitely makes sense to change the tense for
> that page, it reads a lot more easily now.  It's really helpful to have
> numbered sections too.

 If you like it, I can commit and we shall see how people react.

Just a small point, but I wondered why you changed
> "Ant 1.6.5 or higher" to "Ant 1.6.5"?  Is there a problem with later
> versions of Ant?

Yes, Alexei Fedotov mentioned to me that higher versions are not currently
supported. I suggest asking again to reconfirm.

I think we do still need Visual Studio 2003 (which includes the compiler so
> you don't need another one) but I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Ok, so additional compilers are optional. Let's check on the list and then
change the page's wording.

Thanks,

> Sian
>

> On 03/10/2007, Nadya Morozova <nad.morozova@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I decided to update the Quick Help for Contributors page [1] and posted
> > patch to JIRA 4893 [2]. I only changed the wording in some places to
> > switch
> > accents. you're welcome to review the patch and submit your comments.
> >
> > if somebody could read / test the latest Quick Help page and let me know
> > if
> > there are any technical discrepancies, i'd be very thankful. i guess the
> > prerequisites part may be out of date or incomplete. for example: do we
> > actually need MS VS 2003? Do we need the Pro version only, or can users
> > download a free Express Edition and be done? What about compilers? Will
> > the
> > MS VS built-in compiler be enough or do we need an external compiler,
> like
> > Intel's 9.0?
> >
> > [1] http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_contributors.html
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4893