harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Maenkova, Evgeniya G" <evgeniya.g.maenk...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [classlib][swing] javax.swing.JComponent is not supposed to be imported by awt
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:51:01 GMT

>1) Please, tell me the advantages
Don't need repeat in awt text component logic (I mean text drawing,
caret behaviour, highlighter functionality, etc)
>2) I understand and in some sence agree (my disagreement is - there is
a >lot
>of other places to improve - but my note is non-constructive at all)
>UI do not loads with JComponent: Just UIManager and abstract
ComponentUI.
>All the plubbable look and feels are called by reflection. Please,
don't
>guilty UIs.
Always we have something to be improved. :)
JComponent has "import org.apache.harmony.x.swing.Utilities" ;
package org.apache.harmony.x.swing.Utilities.has;
import javax.swing.Icon;
import javax.swing.InputMap;
import javax.swing.JComponent;
import javax.swing.JMenuBar;
import javax.swing.JPopupMenu;
import javax.swing.KeyStroke;
import javax.swing.LookAndFeel;
import javax.swing.MenuElement;
import javax.swing.SwingConstants;
import javax.swing.SwingUtilities;
import javax.swing.UIManager;
import javax.swing.plaf.UIResource;
import javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup;
import javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicGraphicsUtils;
import javax.swing.text.Position;

JMenuBar-> import javax.swing.plaf.MenuBarUI;

Just the simplest chain. But situation isn't trivial. And we can find
more :)

>3) Why this classes directly used in swing? This is inconvinient
decision
>for my opinion

>I think this is an area of improvement - because it makes harder to
work
>with text in JComponents (the example I wrote above) but I cannot help
with
>it now.

Yeah, we have always something to be improved.

>But I think that search all the "swing" words in awt module will be
good
>step to improve both modules. Thanks to you and Alexey for this idea.
Then I'm surprised :) What is your point then?

I happy we reached agreement.

Thanks,
Evgeniya

2007/10/26, Maenkova, Evgeniya G <evgeniya.g.maenkova@intel.com>:

> I told you what it suggested to be 'by design'.
>
> 1) reuse some swing logic regarding text component;
> This approach has both advantages and disadvantages. The decision was
do
> it this way.
> 2) don't use JComponent, as it automatically loads all swing, UIs,
etc.
> 3) for (2) there was TextUtils and TextKit, in particular.
>
> The idea is: don't use all swing (==JComponent) while you need only
awt.
> If you are working in this area now, you are welcome to make any
> improvements.
>

> >And (shame on me!) I cannot understand the 'heavy' and 'light' terms
-
> if
> >this is a performance issue why we look here and doesn't look at
event
> >queue
> >that unoptimised at all.
>
> Sure, we will look everywhere.
>
> Thanks,
> Evgeniya

Evgeniya
> > > Maenkova! She explained me that AWT cannot reuse
> > > javax.swing.TransferHandler due to referenced
javax.swing.JComponent
> [...]
> > >                                         final Transferable t) {
> > >
> > >         if (t == null) {
> > >             return false;
> > >         }
> > >         DataFlavor[] flavors = t.getTransferDataFlavors();
> > >         DataFlavor flavor = null;
> > >         for (DataFlavor element : flavors) {
> > >             flavor = element;
> > >             if
> > (String.class.isAssignableFrom(flavor.getRepresentationClass()))
> > > {
> > >                 break;
> > >             }
> > >             flavor = null;
> > >         }
> > >         if (flavor != null) {
> > >             try {
> > >                 String text = (String) t.getTransferData(flavor);
> > >                 textKit.replaceSelectedText(text);
> > >                 return true;
> > >             } catch (UnsupportedFlavorException e) {
> > >                 return false;
> > >             } catch (IOException e) {
> > >                 return false;
> > >             }
> > >         }
> > >         return false;
> > >     }
> > >
> > > javax.swing.TransferHandler:
> > >     public boolean importData(final JComponent c,
> > >                               final Transferable t) {
> > >         PropertyDescriptor descriptor = getPropertyDescriptor(c);
> > >         if (descriptor == null) {
> > >             return false;
> > >         }
> > >         Class propertyType = descriptor.getPropertyType();
> > >         DataFlavor flavor = getPrefferedFlavor(t, propertyType);
> > >         if (flavor == null) {
> > >             return false;
> > >         }
> > >
> > >         try {
> > >             Object value = t.getTransferData(flavor);
> > >             Method writer = descriptor.getWriteMethod();
> > >             writer.invoke(c, new Object[]{value});
> > >             return true;
> > >         } catch (UnsupportedFlavorException e) {
> > >         } catch (IOException e) {
> > >         } catch (InvocationTargetException e) {
> > >         } catch (IllegalAccessException e) {
> > >         }
> > >         return false;
> > >     }
> > >

> > > --
> > > With best regards,
> > > Alexei,
> > > ESSD, Intel

> > Closed Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
> > Registered legal address: 125252, Moscow, Russian Federation,
> > Chapayevsky Per, 14.
> >
> > This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material
for
> > the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or
distribution
> > by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> > recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
> >

> --
> With Best Regards,
> Irlyanov Dmitry
> Closed Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
> Registered legal address: 125252, Moscow, Russian Federation,

With Best Regards,
Irlyanov Dmitry