harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Asaf Yaffe <asaf_ya...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][verifier] Using the Harmony verifier code for computing the StackMapTable attribute
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:18:45 GMT
Hi Mikhail,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This information is encouraging!

Here are the answers to your questions:

IsStackMapTableAttributeValid(): the original idea behind this function is to optimize the
process and do not compute the StackMapTable if not necessary. However, after considering
your options, it seems that only option 3 makes sense and hence we will not gain any performance
benefit (because we effectively run full verification). I also think that the TPTP instrumentation
engine has enough knowledge to know if a computation is really needed. Therefore, lets consider
option 3 (for completeness) but I think this function is not required for TPTP.

RecomputeStackMapTableAttribute():
- subroutines: we can assume there are no subroutines (jsr/ret instructions). Java 6 classes
should not have them in the first place. Our instrumentation engine may use these instructions
(e.g., some probe injections in Probekit use jsr/ret), but we can update the engine.
- dead-code: while our instrumentation engine does not add "dead-code", I assume that the
code we instrument may contain dead code. We should further discuss what are the best ways
of handling this case (dead-code removal, "nop-ing" the dead code, etc).
- extending the constant pool: no problem. We have the necessary functionality to arbitrarily
modify the constant pool. Exposing this functionality to the verifier seems like a simple
thing to do.

Best regards,
Asaf