harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre bundle size
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:15:22 GMT
On 17 Oct 2007 09:49:08 +0400, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:
> On the 0x372 day of Apache Harmony Spark Shen wrote:
> > 2007/10/17, Sean Qiu <sean.xx.qiu@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > I suggest we maintain our classlib modules (jar) in a central repository.
> > > So we can just get a kernel bundle, and it will download the required
> > > jars.
> >

> > +1 for kernel bundle.
> >
> > We can add options for the default build task. Using these options to
> > determine whether
> > to include source code ,debug information etc.
> >
> > And what about  and a new build target 'build-core' for only those kernel
> > bundles necessary
> > to start JRE.
>
> Sorry, guys:
> -1
>
> First of all, -1 to removing debug information. When you need it, it
> is time when you really need it and you are really stuck and blaming
> your JRE for various aspects if debug info is not there.
>
> Secondly, to the kernel bundle:
>
> 1. how many people want to download just 1/3 of the JRE and then keep
>    looking of the damn slow download when running some app? This would
>    be an unpleasant surprize because people just did not ask you to go
>    web. Looks suspicious, slow and ugly. I do not like unpleasant
>    surpizes.
>
> 2. it is a lot of work. We will need to identify places that can be
>    stripped, tweak classloader to download stuff instead of throwing
>    complains. Ideally, we will need to measure user experience: how
>    many users did not want to download more, and what we can do to
>    increase the number of users? Seems pretty hard. So, unless
>    somebody has a good design in their mind, I would object to this
>    effort. And if they have, please, publish the design on wiki.
>
> 3. how about permissions? anyone who runs a Java app is sometimes
>    asked for a root password to update the JRE? not very convenient
>
> 4. I believe Linux package managers would anyway stick to the full
>    package (otherwize it turns to a nightmare of permissions, security
>    issues and such). So, we won't get any lovers of this stuff in the
>    Linux community, which is completely not impressing.
>
> Slow, ugly, surprizing unpleasantly, vulnerable to attacks. gosh.
>
> If Sun likes that, just let them have fun.

Egor, sounds too pessimistic. ;-)

So far it's only an idea. There is no decision made yet, technically
or logistically. In my opinion, it's quite reasonable to tailor the
bundle for certain purposes. For example, it could be better if the
EIOffice+Harmony bundle has a choice to use only necessary modules.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

--
http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com