harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: M4?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 02:20:15 GMT
2007/10/16, Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:

> > Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> > >   Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
> > > rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
> > > December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
> > > decide this upfront.
> >
> > It's a good time to reflect on the M3 experiences, and see if/how we
> > want to tweak things.
> >
> > IMHO the code was frozen a little longer than ideal.  We considered
> > moving the stable code onto a branch and re-open HEAD, but that was
> > probably going to be too heavyweight for a milestone build.
> >
> > I've said before that shorter cycles are my preference.  I agree there
> > is a fixed overhead for testing, but I believe part of the extended M3
> > experience was due to the amount of new code that needed testing and
> > fixing, and the regressions that we needed to catch-up on, etc.
>

> I agree with Tim here.  There were over 400 bugs fixed / new features
> between M2 and M3, which seems like an awful lot of code to be testing all
> at once.  It also makes it harder to track down what code caused what error
> etc.  Given the size of our community and the rate at which code goes in I
> think shorter release cycles would make more sense.

It's interesting, but I've made for myself opposite conculsions from
the same facts :)

Since we have a long stabilizing period it's good that we have a
longer milestone
cycle and thus we have less %% of freeze time

As for M4, I think mid December or say, Friday Dec, 21 is OK (probably
we should try Dec 15-16 and have flexibility to extend it to Dec, 21)

Thanks,
Mikhail