harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Cornwall" <andrew.pack...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [pack200] Using BCEL for Pack200
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:51:58 GMT
On 10/5/07, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Feel free to shout out to me if you want some background on the
> ramblings of my inner mind, too :-)

Thanks for your offer - I'll take you up on it :-) I know you hadn't yet
done handling bytecode operands and I'm trying to figure out the meaning of
a couple of TODO comments:

BcBands.unpack() says:
                       // TODO a lot of this needs to be encapsulated in the
                       // place that
                       // calculates what the arguments are, since (a) it
will
                       // need
                       // to know where to get them, and (b) what to do with
                       // them
                       // once they've been gotten. But that's for another
                       // time.

and also:
            // TODO Move creation of code attribute until after constant
                   // pool resolved

but ByteCode also has a resolve() method. Was your intent to resolve
bytecode operands somewhere else outside of unpack() or in resolve()?

Also, I don't understand the distinction between entries and others in
ClassConstantPool. I was expecting either one ArrayList, or perhaps a unique
ArrayList for each type in the class constant pool (i.e., one for ints,
another for Strings, another for UTF8s, etc.) This may just be due to my
lack of familiarity with the Pack200 spec - can you shine any light on this?

Many thanks!

    Andrew Jr.