harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Berezhniuk" <ilya.berezhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] HARMONY-4689 - JVMTI Extension: Native Code Access Interface implementation
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:44:31 GMT
Hi all,

Let me speak to NCAI debugging approach.

1) JVMTI is implemented using self-process debugging; it will never be
implemented by another way, I guess. So NCAI merely extends JVMTI
approach to native code debugging.
Using external debugger for debugging native code will lead to using 2
different debuggers simultaneously - it can lead to conflicts between
the debuggers.

2) Any debugger should be aware about some VM internals when debugging
JNI code. So external debugger would use some callbacks functions in
VM. But those callbacks would be not for debugging itself, but for
exposing some raw info about VM internals. Quite the opposite, NCAI is
well defined debug interface which provides processed data in a form
like JVMTI does.

2007/10/12, Pavel Pervov <pmcfirst@gmail.com>:
> +1 for accepting it now. NCAI is a good extension to mechanisms naturally
> provided by Java debugger.

> > We now have all requisite paperwork in place for
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4689, so let's vote to
> > accept:
> >
> > [ ] +1 Accept this contribution
> > [ ] -1 Reject because...
> >
> > As usual, 3 days unless someone complains they need more time.
> >

> --
> Pavel Pervov,

Ilya