harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Berezhniuk" <ilya.berezhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:47:32 GMT
Agree, there is no problem - Charset class adds internal charsets
first, and when adding charsets from ICU it skips existing ones,
comparing by charset canonical name.

Probably the reason is easy extensibility - external charset provider
can be simply substituted in configuration file, and also several
external providers could be specified.

2007/10/8, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com>:

> >> Agreed - if we can use the ICU version of these resources then IMHO we
> >> should do it.
> >>

> > There is similar place in java/nio/charset/Charset: when
> > availableCharsets method prepares charsets it concatenates ICU
> > charsets with a set of internal charsets returned by
> > org.apache.harmony.niochar.CharsetProviderImpl class. But I'm not
> > quite sure that it should be fixed; probably there were some reasons
> > for such approach.
> >

> It would be interesting to know the reasons for this. Where they
> charsets missing from ICU or were the ICU versions of those charsets
> lacking something? I would think that if it was possible for us to feed
> those issues back to ICU and have them maintain these resources for us
> it would be a good thing. However I don't see any problem with us
> keeping the Harmony versions of these resources if need be - I don't
> feel strongly either way.
>
> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> > Ilya