harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Osvaldo Demo" <demoosva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][jndi] Integration of Ldap Service Provider and javax.naming.ldap package
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:00:19 GMT
Hi Spark, my intention was never trying to remind you the work that
needs to be done. What I'm trying to do is to give you the information
i have.

In my previous project i found some links. Maybe they aren't useful
right now, but it's a guideline of how an JNDI Ldap service provider
should be implemented. I don't know if you have read it already or
not. But just in case.

http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/provider/index.html
(Building a service provider)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jndi/jndi-ldap-gl.html
(service provider implementation guidelines)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jndi/jndi-ldap.html

I was looking your code with the viewcvs interface in the harmony site
and it looks like you are making progress in communicating with the
server. I suggest to read the first link "Building a service
provider", i think that you can get a clearer picture of what are the
modules that you are going to need.

Of course that one of the modules that is needed will be the low level
communication with the ldap server, which includes ASN1
encodin/decoding.

Maybe another abstraction layer is needed to mantain the different sockets.

On the other side, we need a Distinguished Name Parser. For instance,
something that parses the following string:
"cn=fs,cn=John,o=TestOrganization,c=us". There is a Class that
represent's that and it's called LdapName. The DN Parser that the
security package has is very strict, so we extended it and make the
necessary changes so it will be more relaxed. You can use it, its
"org.apache.harmony.jndi.internal.parser.LdapNameParser". You call
parse("StringToParse"); and then call getList() and it returns a list
of Rdn.

The Bridge classes used to solve dependence with javax.naming package and
container classes. As you said in the 2nd point. Here is where the
implementation guidelines are going to serve.

Regarding the test cases, you should take a look at the contribution
that i mentioned before because we made many testcases but they are
aimed at javax.naming.ldap API. Maybe it's possible to modify them to
work with the service provider.

Bye,
Osvaldo.