harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Osvaldo Demo" <demoosva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][jndi] Integration of Ldap Service Provider and javax.naming.ldap package
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:25:05 GMT
Well, I'll explain the items that were not clear.

> What does "container classes" means here?

A "Container Class" is a class, a data structure, or an abstract data
type (ADT) whose instances are collections of other objects. They are
used to store objects in an organized way following specific access
rules. Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_(data_structure)

For instance, we are taking the SortControl Class which is an LDAP
Control Extension for Server Side Sorting of Search Results as defined
in RFC 2891. This class is a container class and is in charge of doing
the necessary internal data manipulation without anyone from the
outside seeing that.

> I'm not sure what you means "Integration of Ldap Service Provider and
> javax.naming.ldap package",
> I think they are separated layer, implementation of service provider
> should not depends on implementation
> of the javax.naming.ldap package, so that harmony service provider can
> also work with other jdk.

The Ldap Service Provider is another layer, i agree with you, but
there is a caveat to take into account. Particularly with the
StartTlsRequest extension, we have to have a default Response to
return. Sun's JDK returns it's own StartTlsResponse. I think that
Harmony should return it's own too, and now is possible because we
will have a service provider available.

StartTlsRequest first checks on  the file
"META-INF/services/javax.naming.ldap.StartTlsResponse", then if that
file doesn't exists returns the default implementation.

You can check see a description here:
http://72.5.124.55/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/naming/ldap/StartTlsRequest.html

That's why i'm saying "integration with ldap package".

> We are planning to implement it, and have done some work, if you are
> interested, welcome to join us.

Well, i'll be glad to help you with this. But i was hired by the ITC
to implement the javax.naming.ldap package last year and now i'm
working full time on another area (IT) in other company. I'm also
working to complete my thesis. Besides, I'll do what i can in my free
time.

Do you have a server to hold the project files, cvs or subversion,
documentation, etc?.
Is there any schedule about the implementation?
How many people is working on the project?
What about testing procedures?

Please send me any information that you consider that i need to know.

Best regards,
Osvaldo Demo.