harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [M3] NPE is thrown while debugging with M3
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:45:27 GMT

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > Andrew Zhang wrote:
> >> On 10/10/07, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> Here are some more details:
> >>
> >> NPE stack trace:
> >>
> >> Thread [main] (Suspended)
> >>     NullPointerException.<init>() line: 34
> >>     AbstractInterruptibleChannel.<clinit>() line: 57 [local variables
> >> unavailable]
> >
> > Hmm. This isn't exactly what I wanted to see. I just wanted to see the
> > NPE stack trace that a program would print out when it throws an
> > uncaught NPE in main(). It is quite strange for me to see that you've
> > somehow stepped into AbstractInterruptibleChannel. There is no main()
> > function on the bottom of the stack either...
>
> Yes, can you give us the full stack Andrew?
>
> The AbstractInterruptibleChannel does try to get the setInterruptAction
> method on initialization, but it is guarded by an exception handler.
>
> > I tried debugging on windows with M3 build and current development debug
> > build and still I don't get any NPEs. When I press F5 on line with
> > println, for the 1st time it steps into VM.intern, for other times it
> > steps into PrintStream.println. Sources for these classes aren't found,
> > but I can step out back to main() function.
>
> I see the same as you Gregory with Eclipse 3.3 (I20070625-1500) and
> Eclipse 3.2.2 (M20070212-1330), Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2, and Harmony M3.
>
> After breaking on the println (line 6) and hitting F5 (Step into) I am
> suspended in VM.intern, like this
>
> AndrewTest at localhost:2963
>         Thread [main] (Suspended)
>                 VM.intern(String) line: not available
>                 AndrewTest.main(String[]) line: 6

Hi all,

It has nothing to do with System.out.println. I changed that statement to
"++i", the problem still exists. It seems Harmony(at least, nio part)  is
not successfully initialized. The first time of pressing F5 triggers the
problem.

Here's the screen snapshot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/zhanghuangzhu/AndrewZhangSBlog/photo#5119686975412844082

Regards,