harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: M4?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:16:36 GMT
2007/10/19, Mark Hindess <mark.hindess@googlemail.com>:

> On 17 October 2007 at 18:11, "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasgupt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Before deciding on a duration, or posting plans on the Wiki, it may be
> > worthwhile to list some of the items that we want to do before the
> > next rollout...The duration would possibly fall out of that? With some
> > of these, we could either stretch the duration to whatever is adequate
> > if we want the feature, or branch the tree if we need to some time
> > before release. Here are some DRLVM features that would be good to
> > finish.
>
> I agree the items you mention would be good to finish but I don't agree
> that M4 should wait for any of them.
>
> I am strongly against any attempt to "stretch the duration" of
> milestones to allow time to complete features.  As you suggest, if
> features can't be completed (or disabled) for the creation of a stable
> milestone release then they can be developed on a branch.
>
> I think the length of the freeze this time around was a direct result of
> the long time between M2 and M3.  I'd be in favour of shorter milestone
> release cycles.
>
> I don't believe that having shorter release cycles leads to a greater
> percentage of time with the code base frozen (as I think Mikhail
> suggested in an earlier message on this thread).  It might do initially
> but in the long term it should mean that we remain closer to release
> readiness all the time.

Not quite sure about this. The only way to find the result is to do and see.

Longer release cycles mean that there is a tendency to let standards
> drop between releases and justify it by saying it will be fixed before
> the next release.  For example, poor test coverage (perhaps due to new
> code) when the reality is that having poor test coverage leads to "poor"
> code because no one will have the confidence to be able to dive in and
> (learn to) improve it[0].
>
> Weldon recently wrote:
>
>   we will try to get Thread State Transition code committed before M4
>   code freeze.  If it does not happen, I am happy to wait until M5.
>
> I like this attitude because it means we will get good code when it is
> ready rather than hurried code in time for a milestone.
>
> It is easier to encourage people to take this attitude - "wait until
> the next milestone" - if the time between milestone is well-defined and
> relatively short.  "If my code doesn't make it in, then at least I don't
> have to wait long for the next opportunity for integration/fame."

+1. If we make mile stone release schedule on a regular time scale but not a
regular feature scale,
IMO, people may tend to focus more on the code quality of the already
committed code but not to commit
new features in a hurry - which bring no great help to harmony's quality. On
the other hand,
we, developers will feel less pressure on event such as the mile stone. It
may further do some potential help.

Short release cycles are better for our users because they get simple

--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM