harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:27:29 GMT
2007/10/18, Andrew Zhang <zhanghuangzhu@gmail.com>:

> On 10/18/07, Spark Shen <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2007/10/18, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Well we can start for example with Chinese and Russian.
> > > I think we have enough people here who could translate
> > >
> > > For other languages we could use e.g. auto-translators.
> >

> > I suggest that we consider this as a new potential feedback channel,
> > > if you have user feedback then you have a choice to translate it or
> > ignore
> > > it.
> > > If we say that we don't read feedback in other languages we don't have
> > > such a choice.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >

> > I think the idea here is to provider information for more potential
> > developers and to attract them.
> > And since our JIRA system is an open system, of course reporters can
> > modify
> > it according to
> > different requirement. And I agree with your idea: to provide
> > multi-lingual
> > edition report has its value.
> >
> > My thought here is the duplicated work - report it once in A language
> and
> > then translate it using B
> > language providing identical information. (I assume most developers
> > understand English version JIRA report well).
>

> I think the idea is to give non-Engish speaker an opportunity to report
> their feedbacks, not for those who understand English.

I'd like to explain my point more clearly.

I think the opportunity is always there. Just nobody noticed this potential
usage.
To setup an example (report JIRA in Russian or Chinese or other languages)
to do things like this will have positive impacts.
And I do agree this is a great channel.

But, IMHO, duplicate efforts and lack of language knowledge will also be a
factor to prevent people from doing that.
So, a tool may not be a bad idea.

May be we could provide a tool just like that for auto translating apache