harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][site] Harmony TODO list
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:35:04 GMT
Ken Gilmer wrote:
>   I'm new to Harmony

you are most welcome...

> but am wondering if a CDC/Foundation, Personal Basis JVM and class
> library has been considered for smaller systems. Since the tag line
> for Harmony is "Open Source Java SE" this may be out of scope but I
> can still ask... :)

It's not something that we have discussed in detail, but it is not
beyond the realms of possibility.

Of course we have been focused on Java SE to date, but have also made a
point of modularizing the code along broad functional areas (see [1]).

We are currently only defining modules down to package level, and to do
an ME configuration we would need to get down to individual methods, or
even orthogonal capabilities like serialization and permissions.  To do
that in a single code base would (most likely) require source code
mark-up; the alternative of course being separate SE and ME code trees.

The VM, JIT, and GC are targeted at desktop/server machines at the
moment, perhaps somebody else could chime in with the possibility of
them being adapted to smaller systems use.

There was an exploration/discussion about what a Java class libraries
mark-up language and pre-processing tools would look like, but it didn't
come to fruition.

So, other class library configurations are within scope, it remains to
be seen if there is sufficient interest for people to participate in
making it happen.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/

Regards,
Tim